TWO DAY SEMINAR - Dog enthusiasts ranging from the casual trainer, to the advanced competitive trainer, to professional dog trainers will benefit from this amazing seminar video. Kathy combines an incredible amount of scientific knowledge, practical application skills and infectious enthusiasm. This seminar covers advanced concepts and fine-tuning skills, fundamental clicker skills and an understanding of basic learning theory are required.
- Reliability (how to get your dog to respond to cues in many different situations and around various distractions)
- Shaping (the real magic of clicker training; how to improve your shaping skills and your dog's understanding)
- Stimulus Control (everything you always wanted to know about adding and increasing the effectiveness of your cues)
- Behavior Chains (How to chain behaviors together either backward or forward to accomplish more complex behaviors)
- Fading the Clicker (effective methods for weaning your dog off the clicker)
- Fading the Lure ( how to effectively and quickly wean your dog and you off lures)
- Expanding Behaviors (increasing your dog's behavioral repertoire)
- Effective Training Techniques (various ways to get the behaviors you want and what to do when you don't)
Don't miss this opportunity to expand and fine tune your clicker training skills.
Presentation by: Kathy Sdao
Copyright © 2005, Tawzer Dog LLC
As an associate Certified Applied Animal Behaviorist (CAAB), Kathy Sdao is uniquely qualified to work with dog training and behavior problems. Unlike "dog trainer," "dog psychologist," or "behaviorist," titles that anyone can give themselves, a CAAB is a certified professional with graduate degree in animal behavior field. For the past 26 years, Kathy has earned her living as a full-time animal trainer, first with marine mammals and now with dogs and their people. As a graduate student at the University of Hawaii in the 1980's, Kathy Sdao was part of a team that trained dolphins to solve complex cognitive puzzles. These dolphin “mind games” were part of intensive research into how animals think and process language. After receiving a master's degree in experimental psychology, she was hired by the U.S. Navy to train dolphins for defense-related open-ocean tasks.
Next, Kathy worked as a marine mammal trainer at the Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium in Tacoma, Washington. There she expanded her training skills by working with beluga whales, walruses, porpoises, sea lions, polar bears and otters. Years later, Kathy and another zookeeper left their jobs to create Tacoma's first dog daycare facility, Puget Hound Daycare. This is where Kathy began teaching group classes for pet owners. Since leaving Puget Hound in 1999, Kathy has been lecturing nationally on operant conditioning, sharing her passion for the science of training and the awesome power of clicker training which she has experienced with so many species. She has been honored to be on the faculty of Karen Pryor’s ClickerExpos since 2003. She also has trained animal actors, written for The Clicker Journal and the APDT Newsletter, served as a subject-matter expert for the Delta Society's Service Dog Education System, conducted rat-training camp for Terry Ryan's DogSense, instructed at Dogs of Course’s Instructor Training Course and appeared as the "Way Cool Scientist" on an episode of Bill Nye the Science Guy!
This video qualifies for 13.5 trainer CEUs