Separation Anxiety: Both Sides Now
Presented by: Nicole Wilde
DVD- 2 disc set
Many owners become frustrated and overwhelmed living with a dog with separation anxiety, and some even give up. While most trainers are aware of standard protocols and approaches, some dogs just haven’t read the game plans, and outside-the-box solutions are needed. Living with Sierra, a shelter dog who came with a deeply entrenched case of separation anxiety, has given Nicole an insider’s perspective on separation issues and has emphasized the fact that a cookie-cutter approach does not work for every dog. Nicole’s twenty years of experience as a canine behavior specialist, along with her newfound empathy for owners, allowed her to develop outside-the-box, creative ways to address separation problems and to support owners.
- How to accurately diagnose a separation issue, and how to differentiate separation anxiety from isolation distress.
- Root causes, and how owners can have an influence for better or worse.
- Creative management options, including what to do in an emergency.
- The Alone Zone: Where in (or outside) the house to leave your dog when you’re away; what is not recommended and why.
- The latest, easy-to-use technological advances that allow you to monitor your dog while you’re away.
- Assessing if and when pharmacological intervention is appropriate, and two natural alternatives to consider.
- Complementary products and therapies that may help.
- Separation anxiety myths (you might be surprised at some of the "accepted wisdom" that is simply untrue!).
- Common questions, such as "Could getting a second dog help?"
- A structure to help you formulate a customized behavior modification plan.
Whether you are a trainer, owner, or shelter/rescue worker, you will come away from this seminar with a better understanding of separation issues and how to modify them in order to lessen stress for both owners and dogs, and to give dogs a better chance at a forever home.
|Type||DVD universal format|
|Run Time||2 hrs 43 mins|
|Publisher||Tawzer Dog LLC|
|Copyright||© 2012, Tawzer Dog LLC|
|About The Presenter (BIO)||
Nicole Wilde, CPDT-KA (Certified Professional Dog Trainer) is the author of nine books, writes columns and articles for various magazines and newspapers including Modern Dog Magazine, and has hosted the Dog Talk radio show. She co-stars in the DVD Train Your Dog: The Positive Gentle Method and guest stars on The Dog Whisperer (with Paul Owens) DVD.
Nicole is on the Advisory Board of the Companion Animal Sciences Institute, an accredited distance learning college that provides certificate courses and diploma programs of study in professional dog training, behavior consulting, fitness and nutritional sciences.
She is a professional member of the Association of Pet Dog Trainers (APDT) and a popular speaker at their national conferences. Nicole also teaches seminars and workshops around the country and internationally.
Nicole has worked with all types of canines, both domestic and exotic (specializing in wolves and wolfdogs) as a trainer (and rescuer) for over twenty years. She has also worked with the Los Angeles city shelters, and was Executive Director for a rescue center for wolves/wolfdogs and Pit Bulls. Nicole trains dogs and their owners through her company, Gentle Guidance Dog Training, in Southern California.